Whether your situation calls for an adversarial approach in court or a resolution-based approach out of court, most people facing a separation are grateful to have a knowledgeable and experienced family law lawyer assist them through the family law process. Here are 5 reasons to retain a family law lawyer.
1. Specialized Area of the Law: a lack of familiarity and knowledge about family law issues and procedures will increase the chances of a negative or unworkable outcome for you and your family.
2. Objective Advice for an Emotional Time: a lack of impartiality may easily cloud your judgment. A family law lawyer will let you know if you are being reasonable as to what is possible or workable in your situation, and what is not.
3. Family Law Solutions: a family law lawyer knows how to avert costly and time-consuming litigation for you and your family while protecting your legal rights. And if that’s not possible in your situation, a family law lawyer can resolve your legal dispute early in the court process or proceed to trial if necessary.
4. Paperwork: whether you are in court or out of court, a family law lawyer knows what is required to increase your chances of a positive outcome for you and your family. For example, failing to make full and timely financial or income disclosure will damage your credibility and adversely affect your case.
5. Focus on the Big Picture: a family law lawyer knows how to achieve the best possible family law solution uniquely tailored to your needs, which may mean helping you compromise on some issues so that you can get more of your “must haves”.